Want a career where you help save lives?
The Canadian Coast Guard offers a sea of careers that few can emulate. We are an organization that offers its employees the chance to save lives; protect Canada’s pristine environment; and travel to areas so remote that your only neighbour is wildlife. In short, we are anything but ordinary!
As an organization, we oversee ships of all types; cutting-edge helicopters; and employ about 4,500 people, who work tirelessly to protect and secure 243,000 kilometers of Canada’s vast and rugged coastline.
The Canadian Coast Guard has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2021!
Apply now so you don’t miss the boat!
Intent of the process
An inventory of qualified candidates will be established and may be used to staff similar positions on an indeterminate, term or acting basis.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
(In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following)
Valid Transport Canada STCW Watch Keeping Mate Near Coastal Certificate OR Canadian Coast Guard Command Certificate.
Valid Transport Canada STCW Chief Mate, Near Coastal Certificate (over 3000GT) or higher OR Canadian Coast Guard Command Certificate.
Valid Transport Canada STCW Master, Near Coastal Certificate or higher OR Canadian Coast Guard Command Certificate.
(The following will be applied / assessed at a later date and are essential to the position)
Various language requirements
English essential Bilingual Imperative ( --B/--B)
- Effective Interpersonal Skills
(The following may be applied / assessed at a later date and may be needed for the job)
Valid Transport Canada STCW Watch Keeping Mate or higher.
Valid Transport Canada STCW Chief Mate Certificate or higher.
SO MAO 08
Valid Transport Canada STCW Master Mariner Certificate.
Succe ssful training in one or more of the following areas:
• Armed Boarding
• .50 Calibre Machine Gun
• Basic Oil Spill Response (BOSRC) or higher
• Rescue Specialist
• Twiners Course
• Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) certification
• Crane Operators Course
Valid Transport Canada Fishing Master Class
Experience as a Deckhand on a commercial fishing vessel.
Experience operating cranes, winches and trawls.
Experience in carrying out any or all of the following Canadian Coast Guard programs as a Chief Officer or as a Commanding Officer :
• Aids to Navigation
• Search and Rescue
• Arctic Operations
• Conservation and Protection or NAFO
• Science Programs ( seismic or hydrographic work)
• Fishing/Trawler Programs
• Programs for Other Government Departments such as RCMP, DND, CBSA or EC.
• Fast Rescue Craft Operations for Conservation and Protection
• Helicopter Operations as a flight Deck Officer (FDO)
Experience as a Chief Officer or higher.
Experience as a Chief Officer or as a Commanding Officer during a refit period.
Experience in shore based Fleet/Shipboard Management positions (Candidates must describe the duration and duties performed during any assignment ashore.)
Experience in OHS committee investigating workplace injury or reviewing and updating Shipboard Safe Work Instructions.
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
- Valid Health Canada Medical for seagoing personnel.
- Maintain a valid Certificate of Competency.
- Requirement to go to sea for prolonged periods of time and in adverse weather conditions.
- Requirement to wear and maintain a uniform, safety footwear, and personal protective equipment to Canadian Coast Guard standards.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime as required.
- Willingness to be deployed within the Atlantic Region.
- Compliance with the CCG Safety Management System and Standards.
- Adherence to the Canadian Coast Guard Respiratory Protection Program.
- For vessels assigned primarily to Search and Rescue operations, employees must be within 30 minutes response time to the vessel during assigned work period.
- Valid Canadian Passport (for identified positions).
- Must be willing and able to travel by air, land or by sea.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply. Information on employment equity
Curret ratesof Pay:
SO-MAO-03: $33.02 - $36.99 per hour
SO-MAO-05: $37.28 - $41.59 per hour
SO-MAO-06: $39.14 - $43.39 per hour
SO-MAO-07: $40.62 - $45.05 per hour
SO-MAO-08: $42.74 - $47.39 per hour
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Organizational Needs: Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, women.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideraton will be contacted.
Please see webiste link above to apply!!