Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include;
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for a Second Engineer to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year- round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. This position are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
The focus of the Operations Division is to provide safe and reliable service for all Marine Atlantic’s customers. The Marine Technical function ensures that maintenance and engineering requirements for the fleet are met in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Second Engineer’s primary responsibility is performing maintenance and other functions on a timely basis by formulating a safe and efficient work schedule. The position is also responsible for the supervision of the Engineering Team who operate and maintain the Vessels.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Meets daily with Engine Room personnel to discuss work performed, work to be done, difficulties encountered, new jobs, Job Safety Analysis, work permits required, assigns and collects planned maintenance cards.
- Prepares work lists for the day by reviewing the Planned Maintenance Program.
- Prepares, delivers, and reviews toolbox meetings with Engine Room Team.
- Prepares and reviews any work permits such as Isolation Permits, Hot Work Permits and Safe Work Permits.
- Reviews daily requisitions with the engine room storekeeper and determines what is needed to complete the job.
- Completes daily rounds of all areas of the vessels. Checks machinery and spaces across the vessel to ensure all is operating within prescribed parameters; initiates any required action from findings.
- Works diligently to promote a physically and psychologically safe working environment that is diverse, accessible, inclusive and equitable.
- Assists in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
- Valid Second-Class Motor Certificate STCW 95
- STCW 6.1 Proficiency in Basic Safety
- STCW 6.2 Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats.
- Valid Marine Emergency Duties Refresher
- Fast Rescue Craft and Fast Rescue Craft Refresher
- Propulsion Plant Simulator Certificate II
- Transport Canada Approved Marine Medical Examination
- 24 months recent experience in a relevant position
- Proven leadership skills and good communication skills
- Able to work in confined spaces
- Proficient in the use of vessel computerized systems
- Working knowledge of Planned Maintenance Systems
- Passenger Safety Management Certificate
- Specialized Passenger Safety Management Certificate
- Forklift, Aerial Work Platform and Fall Protection Certificates
- Lockout/Tagout Certificate
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I become part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.