Pelee Island Transportation Services provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Pelee Island Transportation Services include
- competitive salaries
- balanced work/home schedule
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Pelee Island Transportation Services is currently looking for an Able-Bodied Seaman to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Leamington/Kingsville, ON to Pelee Island, ON and Sandusky, Ohio
Reporting to the Chief Officer, the main function of the Able-Bodied Seaman is helmsman duties. When not performing helmsman duties at sea this position will act as an additional lookout and assist the OOW as required.
All crew members at Pelee Island Transportation Services must be familiar with and have a clear understanding of the Muster list, emergency duties, Vessel Emergency Plan and training manual. Crew members are also responsible for taking reasonable measures to ensure the safety of passengers, other crew members and themselves.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Follow safe work procedures and work within MOHS regulations.
- Actively participate in all emergency and security drills as per the duties assigned in the Muster list.
- Perform/Switch to Emergency Steering and Autopilot.
- Understand the Emergency Steering Procedures, the location of the steering repeaters and magnetic compass.
- Follow helm orders as directed by the Master or OOW.
- Assist in mooring operations.
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
High School or GED
- Bridge-watch STCW95
- Valid MED
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Transport Canada Approved Medical Examination
- Passenger Safety Management
- Ability to lift, handle and carry heavy objects
- Ship Personnel with Designated Security Duties certification/training.
- Good knowledge of mooring duties