McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality, and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of tugs, barges and workboats, operate throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, east coast and Canadian Arctic.
ABW – Able Bodied Wheels person
We have immediate openings for Able Bodied Wheels persons, (with self- unloaderexperience)for our new ship, arriving 2023self-unloading ship. We are looking for eager and self-starting individuals.
- Our crew enjoy best in classrotations - you can plan your time at home
- Company paid and arranged travel to ports
- Our crew matter - at McKeil it feels like family
- We sail safe - your safety is our top priority
- Certificate upgrade programs and incentives
- Company paid training
- Competitive wages and comprehensive group benefits program
- ABW on self-unloader ships is a leader amongst the crew, strong leadership capabilities considered a must
- Professionally minded in personal conduct both in watchkeeping duties on the bridge and deck duties in port.
- Strong practical skills centred around deck operations, including safe winch operation, deck equipment operations, monitoring other deck crew during port and cargo operations,
- Knowledgeable in conveyor system processes and able to monitor and assist as needed on cargo handling operations.
- Capable to lead basic maintenance of deck equipment within the planned maintenance framework
- Strong housekeeping skills,
- Effective communication skills with crew and officer in leading cargo, planned maintenance or training functions onboard.
- Is the lead assistant to the officer of watch (OOW). Capable to share in those deck duties as per OOW direction and established practice.
- On the bridge this candidate understands the wheeling function, is competent to steer a vessel in any river, harbour or waterway and at any speed.
- Understands the bridge resource dynamic on the bridge and their role in it.
- A good teacher, this position will lead by example in teaching subordinate AB positions and trainees onboard.
- Previ ous self-unloader experience preferred
- Marine Emergency Duties (MED’s) STCW Basic Safety and Survival Craft Certifications
- Bridge Watch Rating Certificate of Competency Issued by Transport Canada
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Effective communication and proven teamwork skills
You will join a team of passionate colleagues in fast paced, growing organization that supports all communities in which we operate. McKeil Marine offers a competitive total compensation program.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. McKeil Marine is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.