The Blue Heron Company in Tobermory is looking for a 150 Ton Captain or First Mate to add to our team for the 2019 season on our passenger carrying vessels. Accommodations available.We are willing to train the right candidate although are looking for those with Transport Canada Certifications already started.
Main Functions: Working on The Blue Heron Company Vessels, Captains are responsible for managing the ship in the most efficient and effective manner with regard to legislation, safety and customer service.
Job Duties: Captains and First Mates perform some or all of the following duties:
• Cleaning of boat each morning and throughout the day as needed.
• Greet each and every customer and answer any questions they may have about the area.
• General Maintenance of the boat – including painting, repairs, oil changes, etc.
• Ensure all Deck Hands and First Mates are familiar with the operations and safety procedures of the boat.
• Run safety drills and demonstrations when time permits for all crew to benefit from.
• Assist in maintenance of engines or when no other engine maintenance person is scheduled perform all duties yourself.
• Maintain a neat and orderly boat, wheel-house and dock.
Skills Requirements: Experience is an asset, as are the following specific skill:
• Certifications – Please contact General Manager to have yours reviewed Essential Skill Requirements:
• Exceptional Customer Service
• Superior Communication skills to deal effectively with deck hands and customers • Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Continuous learning
• Ability to locate and find needed information without direct supervision
• Ability to work with others
• Punctual, meticulous and reliable
• Computer use • Knowledge of the Tobermory area to answer questions from patrons
• Workweeks are 5 or 6 days, Monday – Sunday, 6-114 hours per day, no shifts beginning before 7:00 am or finishing later than 10:30 pm.
• Captains and Mates are entitled to a ½ hour paid lunch per 8-hour shift – but the time this is taken must be flexible.
• Captains are frequently exposed to noise, a regular flow of people, and often rough sea conditions.
• Captains will be assigned changing priorities.
• Captains may have the opportunity to work overtime, with paid compensation.
• Company issued uniform must be worn at all times.