Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Masters to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year- round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting to the Director of Fleet Operations, the Master is the senior manager on board and is fully responsible and accountable for the safe, efficient, and on-time operation of the vessel. Reporting to the Master are the Chief Officer, Chief Engineer, and Senior Chief Steward.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work diligently, to promote a physically and psychologically safe working environment, that is diverse, accessible, inclusive and equitable to both the crew and passengers
- Safe navigation of the vessel and protection of the marine environment
- Develop and lead a successful and effective team aligned with our Values: safety, diversity, teamwork, commitment, integrity, and excellence
- Human Resources – recruitment, labour relations, training, performance management, etc.
- Compliance with Regulatory requirements under SMS
- Application of company regulations and policies
- Efficient loading and unloading of the vessel
- Promote a positive customer experience
- Maintain and control budgets and expenses
- Incident control and emergency response
- Application of hazard assessment and job safety analysis
- Risk assessment, incident investigation, and root cause determination
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
Education, Certification and Experience
- Master Near Coastal, STCW 2010 Certificate of Competency
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Chief Officer and/or Master of a large vessel with demonstrated experience leading and developing a successful and effective team
- Knowledge and experience working with vessels certified under the International Safety Management Code
- A valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Graduate from a recognized marine school in a related program or equivalent
- Previous experience working on large passenger ferries
- Passenger Safety Management, Specialized Passenger Safety Management, and Radio Operator Certificate (GMDSS)
- MED Refresher
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our diverse group of employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I apply for this opportunity?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.