McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of tugs, barges and workboats, operate throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, east coast and Canadian Arctic.
McKeil Marine Limited has immediate openings for Captains aboard our Tugs on a permanent full-time basis. We are looking for eager and self-starting individuals responsible for the proper management of the deck department as well as the navigation of the ship.
- Competitive wages and comprehensive group benefits program
- 100% company-paid benefits
- Matching group RRSP contributions
- Company-paid training
- Our crew matter: At McKeil, it feels like family.
- We sail safe; your safety is our top priority
- Certificate upgrade programs and incentives
- Responsible for the safe, efficient and economical operation of the vessel as well as safety of the crew
- Communicate expectations, assignments and responsibilities to Deck Crew
- Supervision and training of Deck crew
- Implement and ensure adherence to all Statutory and legislative rules and regulations
- Ensure all Deck personnel and new hires are familiar with Company policies and procedures and have access to the appropriate manuals and documents
- Ensure that McKeil’s QSMS policies and Health and Safety programs are communicated to, understood and adhered to by all Crew members
- Motivate Deck Crew and monitor performance
- Determine the ship’s speed and location using navigational aids
- Responsible for the safe transportation of the ship’s cargo
- Responsible for preparation and/or submission of logbooks, daily records, maintenance records and permits in accordance with Company and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the investigation of any incidents or near misses and the implementation of any corrective action
- Master 150, Master 500 GT or higher certificate of competency issued by Transport Canada
- Master experience not necessary; training will be provided
- Marine Emergency Duties (MED’s) STCW Basic Safety and Survival Craft Certifications
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Experience as a Chief Mate/Master in the Great Lakes and Eastern Canada is an asset
- Experience and knowledge of the Great Lakes/ St. Lawrence Seaway system is an asset
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience as a Chief Mate on board Tug vessels preferred
- GLPA certification preferred but not necessary
- Experienced with Safety Management Systems (ISO & ISM)
- Experience with Microsoft Suite an asset
- Experienced leader and motivator of direct reports
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, analytical and problem-solving capabilities
You will join a team of passionate colleagues in a fast-paced, growing organization that supports all communities in which we operate. McKeil Marine offers a very competitive total compensation program and is an industry-leading workplace that also supports work-life balance.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. McKeil Marine is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.