Amherst Island Ferry Captain
Temporary, full-time – 12 Month Contract
Why Choose Loyalist for Your Next Great Career Opportunity? Loyalist Township is committed to developing people who are passionate about making a difference. We encourage learning and development and believe a respectful team-based workplace is an effective and healthy workplace. We offer excellent pay including an OMERS pension as well as free counselling services for staff and their families.The residents, businesses, and tourist of Amherst Island rely on the dedicated crew for safe passage. Service to our community and each other is what we do.
Loyalist is a growing community of over 18,000 residents situated on the north shore of Lake Ontario between Greater Napanee and the City of Kingston. The Township is a blend of rural and urban areas with several smaller hamlets throughout, including an island community accessible by ferry. It is an outdoor-lovers dream, with a Great Lake on the doorstep and beautiful Canadian shield lakes and provincial parks minutes away to the north. Next door is the historic City of Kingston, which boasts a lively downtown core right on Lake Ontario, full of excellent restaurants and nightlife offerings. We are also connected to large urban centres by the 401, with the GTA two hours to the west and Ottawa two hours to the east.
What You Offer Loyalist as a Ferry Captain:You are reliable, hard-working, and team oriented. You have well developed leadership skills, lead by example, and are motivated to teach our up and coming staff “the ropes”. You have excellent customer service skills and are energized at the thought of being part of an exciting new age in water transportation.
If this sounds like a great fit to what you are looking for, we would love to hear from you!
File No: 2022-83 Ferry Captain (12 Month Full-time Contract)
Hours: Hours variable as scheduled
Rate: $71,250 - $82,179 Annually ($38.66 - $44.59/hr)
Closing: Open Until Filled, resumes will be reviewed as of
December 5th, 2022
A detailed job description is below.
POSITION TITLE: FERRY CAPTAIN
DEPARTMENT: COMMUNITY & CUSTOMER SERVICE
REPORTS TO: SENIOR FERRY CAPTAIN
CATEGORY: TEMPORARY FULL-TIME (12 Month Contract)
UPDATED: JULY 2022
This role is an integral part of service delivery to the residents and visitors of Loyalist Township travelling to and from Amherst Island and contributes to the achievement of our Strategic Plan.
The purpose of this position is to a provide safe and efficient two-way marine transportation for vehicles and passengers; and to provide direct supervision to the assigned crew and perform supervisory functions for the purpose of the Collective Agreement.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Master, Limited for a vessel of 60 Gross Tonnage or More; or Higher Transport Canada Certification of Competency
- Marine Emergency Duties (MED) STCW Survival Craft Certificate
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical Certificate
- Valid Continued Proficiency Endorsement
- 3 year experience of working as Master abord a comparable vessel
- Ship-handling experience on vessel(s) fitted with azimuth thruster propulsion systems
- Good communication and supervisory skills, ability to provide leadership to a crew and to work with other crews, as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interaction with the public and with management and non-management employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain or other designated staff, the Ferry Captain is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the vessel(s) assigned to the Amherst Island Ferry Service and for first-line supervision of the crew.
The Ferry Captain shall perform regular duties and responsibilities as follows:
· Navigate and dock safely in all weather conditions while keeping fuel efficiency in mind
· Maintain schedule and efficiency to the greatest degree possible given factors such as weather or emergencies, that may cause disruption
· Suspend operation due to weather, mechanical issues, or other relevant factors as needed
· Determine the ship’s speed and location using navigational aids
· Document conditions and events as required in Ship’s Log
· Strictly adhere to all applicable legislations and regulations including but not limited to Transport Canada regulations, Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) guidelines, Canadian Labour Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Township policies and Ferry Service Standing Orders.
· Promote a health and safety culture by regularly holding safety talks, ensuring policies and practices are complied with, ensuring a safe work environment, addressing hazards as needed, and fulfilling all duties as a supervisor in accordance with legislation, including ensuring crew always wear required PPE
· Participate in routine Transport Canada emergency drills in accordance with, at minimum, a schedule determined by legislation, regulations, and Township policies
· Ensure ramps, deck, stairs, and all walking surfaces are maintained in a safe condition by the crew; remove ice and snow and perform sanding as needed
· Report safety concerns immediately to appropriate authorities, including Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain, Supervisor of Public Transportation & Fleet, Ministry of Transportation, Ontario (MTO).
· Arrange with Public Works for dock maintenance as required.
· Maintain a respectful, positive, and supportive workplace during your assigned shifts
· Ensure that all crew are aware of their duties and perform them in accordance with set procedures and practices.
· Provide regular performance feedback to the crew, ensuring positive reinforcement of performance that meets expectations is provided frequently
· Address performance concerns in a timely manner with guidance, instruction, and feedback, and ensure documentation
· In conjunction with Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain, conduct performance reviews for the crew in accordance with processes; make note of progress in development for advancement when required
· Review time and attendance records for accuracy and completeness and approve in accordance with procedures
· Observe staff for advancement potential and make recommendations to the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain.
· Understand and supervise in accordance with the OPSEU Local 428 Collective Agreement, including hours of work, approval of vacations, time off in lieu and other leaves, assignment of overtime, and handling complaints
· Make note of any areas for improvement in the Collective Agreement during operations and bring them forth in preparation for bargaining
· Provide on-board training, including regular rotation in the wheelhouse, to all staff to improve their skills and their opportunities for advancement.
· Respond as Supervisor at Step 1 of the Grievance Procedure in the Collective Agreement.
· Review time sheets for accuracy and completeness and approve same.
· Monitor, coach and provide guidance to crew for performance improvement; and recommend discipline when needed.
· Require staff to report for duty wearing clean and presentable uniforms.
· Ensure that all staff communicate with passengers politely and with respect.
· Ensure each crew member has a seaman’s book and is signed on and discharged as required
· Report all incidents/near misses to appropriate authorities, including reporting fuel spills immediately; and complete documentation as required
· Address maintenance issues as able and record and forward documentation in accordance with procedures
· Report maintenance issues that cannot be immediately addressed to the next captain on duty, Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain and if necessary, directly to MTO maintenance staff and record documentation in accordance with procedures
· Advise Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain of any interruption in ferry service
· Maintain radio communication with Canadian Coast Guard, as needed.
· If the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Captain is unavailable, report any incidents normally reported to the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain to the Public Transportation & Fleet Supervisor.
· Provide input into the development of new standing orders, policies, and proceduresand other administrative tasks as requested by the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain or Public Transportation & Fleet Supervisor
· Participate in recruitment, selection, training, performance management, and corrective action, as required
· Monitor, review and keep the ship operating logs/documents (safe manning, insurance, licenses etc.) valid and current
· Contact Ferry Office/others to arrange for emergency relief and dock patrol staff as required
· Respond to on-board enquiries from the public and assist the crew with handling any disputes as needed
· Provide agenda items for, attend, and participate in Captains’ Meetings
· Maintain availability for emergency call-back between 2:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. during assigned shifts; and call-in required crew as scheduled
· Post notices regarding interruption of services as required
· Complete and forward: WSIB forms, Township incident reports, Transportation Safety Board (TSB) reports, occurrence logs, etc.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Internal: frequentcommunication with staff, and the Assistant Supervisor - Senior Ferry Captain. Communication with other management employees, human resources, union representatives as required.
External: communication withresidents and patrons.
· Occasional outdoor work in various and changing weather conditions that include but are not limited to snow, rain, ice, cold temperatures, and wind
· Ability to work shifts and respond to immediate emergency calls
· Is regularly required to attend meetings, programs, seminars, and events which may take place at different facilities, requiring travel
· Occasional moderate physical exertion and rare heavy physical exertion
Note: The foregoing is intended to outline the general description of duties and
responsibilities for this position. It is not intended, nor should it be
interpreted as a complete description. Loyalist Township reserves the right
to amend this position description at any time.