VANCOUVER ISLAND FERRY COMPANY | NANAIMO, BRITISH COLUMBIA
About Vancouver Island Ferry Company (VIFC)
We’re the Vancouver Island Ferry Company, a modern Canadian ferry company transforming how we travel in British Columbia.
It’s all about being an easier, faster, and more modern ferry experience. Headquartered in Nanaimo, VIFC will provide service between downtown Nanaimo and downtown Vancouver. We’re talking comfortable and reliable sailings in around 70 minutes, a seamless booking process complete with reservable seats, and refreshments that will be just that…fresh. Say goodbye to the biggest pain points of travel and be ready to be welcomed aboard with a smile and a “hello”.
VIFC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in our organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and any other category protected under applicable law. We welcome all qualified applicants who contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The VIFC Culture
We are obsessed with the customer experience! We aim to raise the bar in everything we do and will encourage employees to innovate and never settle for the status quo. Data and continuous improvement are key tenets of the organization. VIFC strives to create a fun and engaging environment where you can help shape the future of the organization. From top to bottom, each member of the VIFC team will be engaged across the company and even get direct experience on the vessels.
About the Role
We are looking for driven and experienced captains to join and help shape the future of VIFC. VIFC Captains will champion the onboard team and foster a best-in-class customer experience. Safety, reliability, and passenger satisfaction are VIFC’s commitments to its passengers. To achieve our reliability commitment and support our team, VIFC’s Captains will command two brand new state-of-the-art, purpose-built Damen 4212 high speed (fast ferry) vessels. The hull lines are optimized for high performance and is supported with four engines that can achieve a cruising speed of up to 40 knots.
At VIFC, our team members are our most important assets. We want you to be home with your family and / or enjoying your free time on a regular basis. Proudly based in Nanaimo, our approach to staffing ensures that our onboard teams, of which you will be leading, are able to plan their lives with scheduled certainty throughout the year and combine that with significant time off to be able to feel refreshed and able to offer the best customer service experience possible.
Day-to-day, our captains will lead their crew in providing a reliable, efficient, and friendly service while also working to proactively identify opportunities to improve the company’s service standards and performance. This is an exciting and fast-paced opportunity for ambitious, experienced captains. VIFC will be accelerating recruitment in early 2023 to meet a summer launch. VIFC’s captains will have a meaningful voice in designing and optimizing our service and will have a direct impact on the success of the company and its culture.
- Oversee all operations onboard the vessel, including navigation, maintenance, and compliance with all applicable government and industry regulations
- Train and coach crew members in safety procedures
- Direct supervisor of onboard crew who can foster a sense of teamwork while also acting as the culture steward of the brand
- Ensure the seaworthiness of the ship before every departure
- Identify process improvements to drive efficiencies and overall reliability
- Ensure a 100% positive guest experience
- Captain vessels safely and effectively, provide direction to crew members to accomplish all assignments, and maintain records of allocated personnel and resources
- Ensure that all activities are carried out with due regard to personal safety, the safety of others, and in line with company policies and procedures
- Ensure crew is fully trained and successfully executes assigned tasks during exercises, and drills including emergency scenarios
- Participate in exercises and assist with training contractors and VIFC personnel
- Ensure completion of monthly work orders, vessel runs, annual equipment refits, vessel dry docking, and assist with regulatory inspections (i.e. Transport Canada vessel inspections)
- Provide training to our new hires, seasonal employees, and contractors
- Take an active interest in working with other senior managers and captains to build the right service and organization that can best serve its customers
We’ve Here for You
We get it – sometimes things happen in life that you can’t control. At VIFC, people are our greatest asset, and we want to support you and those you care about beyond the paycheque. That’s why we’ve created a comprehensive health and wellness benefits program to promote your physical and mental well-being so you can perform at your best. Better yet, it’s flexible since one size doesn’t fit all!
- 100% VIFC-paid premiums
- A robust, flexible health spending account – use it for additional health coverage should you need it and/or to support your personal wellness (like paying for your gym membership, sporting equipment, or activity classes)
- Don’t have a family doctor? No worries – we offer 24/7 virtual access to doctors or nurse practitioners to get medical advice or a prescription
- VIFC contributions to your RRSP
- Free ferry travel for you and your family between Nanaimo and Vancouver
What We’re Looking For
- Master 3000 Gross Tonnage TC certification or equivalent
- Sailing experience and a strong understanding of all aspects of ship operations
- An interest and ability to work in a start-up culture
- Knowledge of the navigation of the Salish Sea and /or experience on routes similar in nature
- A natural curiosity, humility, and hunger for growth
- Process oriented and obsessive over details – you take pride in knowing all the details and ensuring accuracy
- Solutions focused mindset with a desire to build and improve
- Adapts quickly to change and willingness to take on new task