The CSL Group Inc. (“CSL”) of Montreal, Canada is a world-leading provider of marine dry bulk cargo handling and delivery services. Through its major operating divisions, Canada Steamship Lines, CSL Americas, CSL Australia, CSL Asia and CSL Europe, CSL owns and operates a highly diversified fleet of specialized self-unloading vessels, off-shore transshippers and Handysize bulk carriers, and delivers more than 78 million tonnes of cargo to industrial customers annually. CSL's history can be traced back to 1845.
At CSL, we are committed to the wellbeing of our crews and employees, and to promoting a corporate culture that values high ethical standards, a safe and healthy workplace and respect for the environment. A career with CSL is both stimulating and challenging, and we are continually seeking skilled and passionate individuals to occupy key roles throughout our company.
For more information on CSL Group, please visit our website: https://www.cslships.com/en.
CSL is hiring experienced Captains for immediate positions.At Canada Steamship Lines, our Captains are recognized as the frontline leaders on our ships and we take pride in offering them excellent work conditions and compensation in line with their important roles.
CSL is currently seeking experienced Captains for our domestic fleet of bulkers and self-unloaders, which includes seven state-of-the-art Trillium Class ships.
We offer a competitive salary, an industry-leading leave system and an exceptional employee bonus and benefits program that is unmatched by any other shipping company on the Great Lakes.Duties and Responsibilities
- The Master is directly responsible to Owners for the proper care and management of the ship, its cargo and crew. They report to CSL on safety, operational and technical matters through the Vessel Manager and on commercial matters to owners marketing / commercial dept., however the Vessel Manager shall be advised if the commercial matter is not routine or requires operational input;
- The Master is responsible for motivating the crew in the observation of company policies and safety and environmental management practices;
- It is the responsibility of the Master to ensure that the training, induction and familiarization of all existing and new crewmembers are in accordance with the working instructions issued by the Company. In the event that these instructions are in contravention of the STCW95 Convention regulations through error, and this is known by the Master, the STCW95 convention standards for the Flag State of registry will apply;
- The Master must ensure that the ship is navigated in strict accordance with the Flag Watchkeeping Standards, Collision Regulations and Company Standing Orders, and in strict accordance with any local regulations that may apply from time to time. The Master shall ensure that Bridge Team Management principles for safe navigation will be employed within the wheelhouse of all company vessels by all personnel, including pilots;
- The Master must ensure that all safety equipment is maintained in proper condition and readily accessible in an emergency. They must ensure that fire, lifeboat, safety and pollution response drills are held at the required intervals, and that all crewmembers are familiar with, and trained in, the proper use of related equipment;
- The Master is responsible for the security of the ship at all times. They must insure that an effective deck watch is maintained at all times in port or at anchor, and that there is a Duty Officer and Engineer on board at all times;
- The Master is responsible for the monitor and control of the vessel accounts, the vessel budget and the inventory expenditure for all budgetary issues delegated to his authority;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Master Near Coastal certificate of competency issued by Transport Canada
- Two years of experience as a Captain
- GLPA Pilotage Certificate, an asset
$160,000-180,000 + (pilotage premiums, training premiums, excess days, etc.)
Medical Benefits + Annual Medical Examination
Defined-Benefit Pension Plan
Fitness Reimbursement Program
Terms of Employment:
Full-time position with atypical schedules.
Great Lakes, St. Lawrence Seaway and East Coast Trade Routes
Language of Work:
The CSL Group Inc. - Head Office
759 Square Victoria, 6th Floor
Canada H2Y 2K3
Senior Talent Acquisition, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist
759 Square Victoria, 6th Floor
Canada H2Y 2K3
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All submissions will be treated with utmost confidentiality.