Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Marine Electricians to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year-round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting to the Chief Electrical Engineer, this position performs preventive maintenance as scheduled and carries out corrective maintenance duties as required. This position also performs preventative maintenance based on assigned job cards.
The Marine Electricians’ main responsibility is for all electrical maintenance to be performed on a safe and timely basis pertaining to all departments. This position must have a good understanding of the vessel’s electrical machinery, systems and test equipment, and provide advice when performing difficult tasks. The vessel crew members must have a clear understanding of the Muster list, emergency duties, Vessel Emergency Plan and SOLAS training manual.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
Certification and Experience
Interprovincial Red Seal Industrial Electrician Certification
A minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in the electrical field (troubleshooting, maintenance and repair) along with a strong electronics background.
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- Must be capable of reading and working from electrical drawings. Experience in tracing electrical circuits and systems
- Must be able to trouble shoot electrical controls and distribution systems
- Must have knowledge of a delta distribution system
- Motor Control Center and Soft Start Motor Controls experience
- Must be familiar with:
- engine alarm and monitoring systems and fire detection systems
- Automation and PMS systems and PLC
- HVAC systems and VFD devices
- generator controls and generator paralleling circuits
- industry standard testing equipment.
- Must be able to perform Lock Out /Tag Out procedures
- Must have a CPR Certificate
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Previous relevant work experience in a marine environment
- Experience and/or training in marine electrical/electronics
- Familiarity with computerized preventive maintenance systems
- Marine STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Courses, including valid MED refresher
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Advanced First Aid Certificate
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are diverse, safety-oriented team players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence.Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.