Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for a Chief Electrical Engineer (Journeyperson Electrician) to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year-round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. This position is permanent spare and relief and shifts are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer and functionally to the Master, the Chief Electrical Engineer is responsible for all activities performed on board relative to electrical and electronic equipment and control systems. This position plays a key role in maintenance planning for operations, refit/dockside maintenance, capital projects, electrical enhancement, annual budgets and the five-year plan.
This Chief Electrical Engineer is a critical leadership role onboard our vessels. This position is responsible for the supervision of all Electrical Engineers, making it a key role in leading, managing and developing the team, while reinforcing Marine Atlantic’s Values and ensuring that the provisions of the collective agreement are followed.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work diligently to promote a physically and psychologically safe working environment, that is diverse, accessible, inclusive and equitable.
- Responsible for all Electrical and Electronic equipment and Control systems.
- Supervise all Electrical Engineers and assign work activities as required.
- Ensure all work is conducted in a safe manner following all established safety procedures.
- Ensure that all electrical and electronic equipment on the vessel is fully operational and safe to use by Marine Atlantic Departments and outside Contractors.
- Ensure all work permits are issued and complete.
- Create a work list for the Electricians and assign the Planned Maintenance cards (CMMS) for their shift.
- Meet with the Chief Engineer about outstanding work to be completed.
- Remain in the Engine Control Room for arrival and departures from Port and for any maneuvering of the ship.
- Prepare list of items for refit maintenance.
- Ensure that electrical supplies are requested in a timely manner providing Supply Chain with complete specifications and following Marine Atlantic procurement policies.
- Ensure electrical supplies are received and available as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
- Interpro vincial Red Seal Electrician Certification
- A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- Proven leadership/supervisory skills, including demonstrated success with leading, motivating, mentoring and growing a team
- Good communication skills
- Previous work-related experience relative to various machinery configurations, control and alarm systems
- Ability to keep accurate up-to-date records
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to obtain a Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Previous relevant work experience in a marine environment
- Experience and/or training in marine electrical/electronics
- Familiarity with computerized preventative maintenance systems
- Marine STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Courses, including valid MED refresher
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Advanced First Aid Certificate
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are diverse, safety-oriented team players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence.Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.