Engine Room Rating
Are you seeking a rewarding experience to work in a team oriented environment that allows you the opportunity to develop your skills and build a career?
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Engine Room Ratings to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, spare relief.
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We are dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction.
As an Engine Room Rating with Marine Atlantic, you will be responsible for:
- Keeping all machinery spaces and equipment clean and free of hazards to ensure a safe working environment
- Understanding the tasks to safely discharge or receive fuel, lube and dirty oils; and in handling engine room chemicals
- Performing all watchkeeping duties assigned, standing fire watches, and becoming familiar with the layout of the vessel
- Performing or assisting in all maintenance activities
- Maintaining good mechanical skills and judgment, with the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Working diligently to promote a safe working environment.
- Assisting in the accomplishment of vessel functions by performing other related duties as required
What will my schedule look like?
While these positions are considered on-call, spare and relief, our goal is to provide a schedule of 15 days of work during a month with 15 days off. Spare and relief employees may not always work 15 days in a month, and the days may not always be consecutive. The schedule will vary depending on operational and staffing requirements.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
- High School or GED Equivalency
- 4th Class Motorship OR Engine Room Rating; OR acombination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Valid STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Certificates
- Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Examination
- Ability to lift, handle, and carry heavy objects up to 22.3 kg
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Confined Space Certification
- Work Experience as a Diesel Mechanic, Heavy Duty Mechanic, Machinist, Pipe-Fitter, Engine Fitter, or Small Diesel Repair
Why should I work for Marine Atlantic?
We are dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do I become part of the team?
Simply click ‘apply online’ below to submit your cover letter, resume, and application before 4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 20 April, 2018
For your application to be considered, all questions must be completed.
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).