Certified Engine Room Assistants
At Marine Atlantic, we do so much more than get people from point A to point B. Whether it’s reunions, long-awaited trips home, or the start of a new adventure, we bring people together. We couldn’t bring people together every day without our own dedicated employees. Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
We are currently looking for Certified Engine Room Assistants to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year-round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, spare relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Keeping all machinery spaces and equipment clean and free of hazards to ensure a safe working environment
- Understanding the tasks to safely discharge or receive fuel, lube and dirty oils; and in handling engine room chemicals
- Performing all watchkeeping duties assigned, standing fire watches, and becoming familiar with the layout of the vessel
- Performing or assisting in all maintenance activities
- Maintaining good mechanical skills and judgment, with the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Working diligently to promote a safe working environment.
- Assisting in the accomplishment of vessel functions by performing other related duties as required
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
- High School or GED
- 4th Class Motorship OR Engine Room Rating
- Valid STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Certificates
- Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Examination
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to lift, handle, and carry heavy objects up to 22.3 kg
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Confined Space Certification
- Work Experience as a Diesel Mechanic, Heavy Duty Mechanic, Machinist, Pipe-Fitter, Engine Fitter, or Small Diesel Repair
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
Why work for the Marine Atlantic team?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).