Selection process number: 21-DFO-WCCG-EA-CCG-308279
Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Canadian Coast Guard - Fleet
Victoria (British Columbia)
Fo r further information on the organization, please visit Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- For more information about the Canadian Coast Guard
- We Are the Canadian Coast Guard
- ► Understanding the job advertisement
- Cracking the Code (navigate the application process step by step)
Closing date: 31 December 2021 - 23:59, Pacific TimeWho can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate in the screening questions how they meet the occupational certification and experience factors listed in the essential and asset qualifications.
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
At Fisheries and Oceans Canada, we are proud to:
• Celebrate our diversity and our commitment to values and ethics – we recognize our employees for a variety of achievements, including Excellence in Values and Innovation;
• Provide a healthy, respectful and supportive work environment for all employees – many resources and initiatives are available such as the Working on Wellness program, which promotes work-life balance and access to LifeSpeak, which is an innovative health and wellness platform;
• Provide wide-ranging career opportunities, as we are the third largest Federal Public Service Department in British Columbia;
• Commit to continuous learning and employees’ career development;
• Be recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG), a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), is entrusted to deliver valuable programs and services to Canadians that save lives, protect the environment and support our Canadian
economy. Embracing a proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians, CCG offers exciting sea-going and shore-based career opportunities in the delivery of critical maritime safety, security and response services; response to
on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade.
The Government of Canada recently announced the Oceans Protection Plan, a whole-of-government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. DFO/CCG are dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians.
Come work for a Department that thrives on change, building partnerships and providing a high level of service to Canadians. Women, Aboriginal people and visible minorities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Intent of the process
A pool of qualified candidates will be created and may be used to staff similar positions, on a temporary or permanent basis.
Positions to be filled: 4
Information you must provide
How did you find out about this job opportunity?
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
• Valid Marine Basic First Aid or Marine Advanced First Aid Certification.*
*any candidate holding First Aid qualifications other than the requested certification (ie. certification which does not include a marine component) may be deemed partially qualified with the expectation that, at minimum, the Marine Basic First Aid training be obtained prior to hire.
•Valid FOODSAFE Certification.
• Experience* in Hospitality/Hotel Services; or services in the food industry; or experience as a steward on an ocean going vessel.
*Experience is considered to be 6 months or more.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
• Ability to communicate orally.
• Working effectively with others.
• Demonstrating integrity and respect.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Marine Emergency Duties Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) – Basic Safety training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties, Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Basic Safety.
• Marine Emergency Duties STCW – Survival Craft training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats.
• Valid WHMIS.
• Valid OHS Certification.
• Marine Medical Care, OFA 3 or other First Aid certification without a marine component.
• Experience working on seagoing vessels.
• Experience in taking inventories and ordering supplies.
DFO recognizes that the diversity of its employee population contributes to its strength and integrity. Selection may be limited to candidates self-identifying as belonging to one of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, visible minorities, and Women.
• Must be willing and able to be deployed
• Must be willing and able to perform Overtime work as required, often on short notice
• Must be willing and able to work shiftwork
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
Other conditions of employment:
• Marine Emergency Duties Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) – Basic Safety training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties, Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Basic Safety *
• Marine Emergency Duties STCW – Survival Craft training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats*
*Note: Required within 6 months of employment
• Valid Medical (new hires: Transport Canada Marine Medical or Health Canada Periodic 3).
• Valid Canadian Passport.
• Must be willing and able to wear a Respiratory Protection device and meet the standard of the CCG Respiratory Protection Program – RPP.
• Must be willing to wear and maintain a uniform per Canadian Coast Guard standards, inclusive of CSA approved safety footwear and maintain job related personal safety equipment
• Must be willing and able to go to sea for prolonged periods of time (including Arctic Waters) in adverse weather conditions, and on various classes of vessels (Up to 42 days)
• Must be willing and able to travel by air, land, and by sea.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Reference checks will be sought.
An interview will be administered.
A test may be administered.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language(s) of their choice.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your email and contact information are maintained with the hiring board AND in your Public Service Resourcing System (PSRS) account. All communication for this process will be conducted via the email address provided in your application AND via your PSRS account. It is your responsibility to ensure that you check for messages regularly and to ensure that your email address accepts messages from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email or filter them to a junk mail folder). Failure to respond to key messages may result in your being eliminated from this process.
The Public Service of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise the Public Service Commission or the departmental official in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
On October 6, 2021, the Government of Canada announced details of its plans to require vaccination across the federal public service.
As per the new Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, federal public servants in the Core Public Administration and members of the RCMP must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate (permanent), determinate (term), casual, and student hiring. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment then the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete an attestation.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
App ly Online