The Ministry of Transportation's Wolfe Island Ferry Service requires an individual to serve as Ferry Mate.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the supervision of the Ferry Captain, you will:
• Assist in the operation and maintenance of a Ferry Vessel transporting vehicles and passengers by deciding upon appropriate parking spaces for vehicles
• Supervise the loading and unloading of vehicles and the securing and casting-off of vessel
• Ensure vessel and shore facilities are maintained in a safe, clean and efficient condition
• Assist Captain in wheelhouse during poor visibility and emergency situations as required
• Check condition and accessibility of fire-fighting and life-saving equipment
• Maintain passenger discipline
• Respond to public enquiries and/or complaints
• Investigate accidents/incidents and report to supervisor
• Provide direction and guidance to deckhands
• Assume duties of Captain or Deckhand on assigned shift, as required (as certified)
Please note: This is an irregular on-call position working 0 to 40.00 hours per week
How do I qualify?
• Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as Mate Limited (for the specified vessel)
• Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
• Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
• Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Certificate
• Valid class 'G' driver's licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired
• Experience in the loading and unloading of vehicles and passengers to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner
• Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures relative to marine operations to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner
• Decision-making skills to ensure the proper trim and stability of the ship appropriate to prevailing weather conditions and in investigating accidents involving vehicles
• Oral, written and visual communication skills when supervising the direction of vehicles and to effectively communicate with co-workers
• Organization skills to carry out daily routines as well as complete non-routine activities
Customer Service Skills
• Demonstrated experience in the delivery of quality customer service to deal courteously with complaints and concerns of passengers
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when responding to unlawful situations
• Ability to be courteous with the public and when responding to public inquiries
Salary Range:$26.30 - $28.53 per hour
· 3 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 12 months (with possible extension), 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
· The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 151719,by Thursday,August 13, 2020.Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.