If you enjoy the vast openness of the water, why not consider a job as a Ferry Mate, with the Ministry of Transportation's Wolfe Island Ferry Service? If life on the open waters has ever piqued your interest, this type of water vessel job may be your calling. You'll love living in Kingston! The working location is enough to make you want to make this career move!
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-se rvice-anti-racismpolicy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusiondiversity-bluep rint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the supervision of the Ferry Captain, you will:
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of a ferry vessel transporting vehicles and passengers by deciding upon appropriate parking spaces for vehicles
- Supervise the loading and unloading of vehicles and the securing and casting-off of the vessel
- Ensure the vessel and shore facilities are maintained in a safe, clean and efficient condition
- Assist Captain in wheelhouse during poor visibility and emergency situations, as required
- Check condition and accessibility of fire-fighting and life-saving equipment
- Maintain passenger discipline
- Respond to public enquiries and/or complaints
- Investigate accidents/incidents, and report to supervisor
- Provide direction and guidance to deckhands
- Assume duties of Captain or Deckhand on assigned shift, as required (as certified)
Please Note: these positions are irregular, on-call, and the hours are not guaranteed, and will vary between 0-40 hours per week.
How do I qualify?
- Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as Mate Limited (for the specified vessel)
- Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Certificate
- Valid class 'G' driver's licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that they have a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
- Experience in the loading and unloading of vehicles and passengers to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner
- Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures relative to marine operations to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner
- Decision-making skills to ensure the proper trim and stability of the ship appropriate to prevailing weather conditions and in investigating accidents involving vehicles
- Oral, written and visual communication skills when supervising the direction of vehicles and to effectively communicate with co-workers
- Organization skills to carry out daily routines as well as complete non-routine activities
Customer Service Skills
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of quality customer service to deal courteously with complaints and concerns of passengers
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when responding to unlawful situations
- Ability to be courteous with the public and when responding to public inquiries
Salary Range: $27.10 - $29.40 Per Hour
- 3 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Thursday, September 29, 2022, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers, and entering Job ID 186120 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.