Engine Room Assistant
Pay: $67,721 annually
- An experience of a lifetime serving Canadians
- Unique work location on a ship
- Strong work life balance
- Paid vacation & sick leave and competitive wages
- Hands-on training and career development
- Inclusive, flexible and exciting workplace
- Health & dental care for long-term employees
- Canada Pension Plan for long-term employees
Also known as oilers, engine room assistants help provide operational and custodial services for the ship’s engine room.
Your work location would be one of our Canadian Coast Guard ships, which are stationed across Canada’s coasts. A typical work schedule is 2-6 weeks onboard a ship, followed by the same amount of paid time off.
At the Canadian Coast Guard, we work to ensure the safety of mariners in Canadian waters and help protect Canada's marine environment. To do this important work, we rely on the expertise of our skilled personnel. From our at-sea marine navigators and engineers, to our onshore response specialists, we’re here to serve Canadians and everyone in Canadian waters.
Find out more information about the Canadian Coast Guard by visiting our website at canada.ca/coast-guard-jobs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in:
- operating, maintaining, and repairing machinery and equipment
- fueling, handling oil products, and doing lube oil transfers
- transferring, testing, and treating potable water
- Cleaning and caring for the ship’s machinery, machinery spaces, and other equipment
- Inspecting machinery and equipment
- Participating in the engine room watch and the ship’s watch keeping system
- Participating in safety and emergency drills and operations, like all crew members
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Experience in one of the following:
- maintaining and repairing machinery
- mechanical or electrical operations
- welding or similar trades
- Dependable, organized, with a strong work ethic
The Canadian Coast Guard: Live the experience of a lifetime every day.