McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of bulkers, tankers, tugs, barges and workboats, operating throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, East Coast and Canadian Arctic.
Able Bodied Trainee
We have immediate openings for Able Bodied Trainees aboard our Vessels. We are looking for eager and self-starting individuals. As an Able Bodied Trainee, you will be joining as a supernumerary (extra) onboard to shadow the crew and move into the ranks of a fulltime position.
- Our crew enjoy regular schedules with minimal disruptions - you can plan your time at home
- Company paid and arranged travel to ports
- Our crew matter - at McKeil it feels like family
- We sail safe - your safety is our top priority
- Certificate upgrade programs and incentives
- Company paid training
- Competitive wages and comprehensive group benefits program
Trainee Program Details & Process:
- 5-week training and evaluation period. Upon successful completion, you will be added to a shortlist for a full-time position based on receipt of positive evaluation.
- Once in a fulltime position, you will start company-based in-house training modules to develop skills and competencies to move up the ranks into an AB position
Key responsibilities of an Able Bodied Trainee position:
- General upkeep and maintenance duties including painting, cleaning, and planned maintenance work
- Support ship-assist, line handling and cargo loading/unloading
- Perform fire and security rounds and maintain gangway watch while in port
- Other duties as assigned
- No experience mandatory
- Transport Canada Marine Medical and Discharge Book
- Valid Passport
- Pass preemployment testing (i.e. pre-employment drug test and criminal background check)
- Strong communication and proven teamwork skills
- Self-starter – ability to take initiative and be proactive in carrying our responsibilities
- Comfortable being away from home for long periods of time (5 weeks at a time)
- Comfortable with shift work (changing shift schedule patterns, e.g. working 6 hours on and 6 hours off)
- Comfortable working in various weather/working conditions
- Comfortable travelling (flight, train, taxi, etc.)
- Willing to learn and not afraid to get hands dirty mindset
You will join a team of passionate colleagues in fast paced, growing organization that supports all communities in which we operate.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. McKeil Marine is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.