McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turnkey solutions that support our customers' successes in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of tugs, barges and workboats, operate throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, east coast and Canadian Arctic.
Vessel Manager – Small Vessel Fleet
We have an immediate opening for a full-time permanent position as Vessel Manager – Small Vessel Fleet based out of our Port Dover location. Reporting into the Director, Operations, this position will manage and control the maintenance budget and will monitor/proactively manage the operational safety and efficiency of their assigned vessels.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee day to day vessel operations including maintenance, vessel performance and optimal crew utilization;
- Control the vessel’s operating budget.
- Assure compliance to all vessel certification, port states, Class, safety and regulatory;
- Manage the vessel Master and assist him (with Crewing) to manage his/her crew.
- Promote, mentor the Master and the crew;
- Assist and take lead where expertise dictates with investigating onboard navigation, cargo, hull or machinery incidents;
- Assist the Master, Crewing, QHSE and HR as required with investigating any personnel related incidents;
- Monitor trip reporting for accuracy, proper documentation good habits.
- Monitor planned maintenance systems for thoroughness and compliance and monitor crew utilization to optimize vessel condition;
- Liase with QHSE to assure compliance with Quality and Safety Management System on-shore and on-board the vessel;
- Liase with Traffic on vessel schedules for planning repairs and maintenance or where “practical” assistance as required with a customer.
- Master shall comply with port regulations, Traffic shall ensure vessel complies to Customer requirements. The VM shall ensure that these regulations or requirements do not pose a threat to the safety or integrity of the vessel or its crew.
- Liase with Traffic or Commercial entities in support to Business Development as requested;
- Assure compliance to regulatory bodies is maintained. Safety, environmental;
- Complete regular vessel visits during the season to inspect these responsibilities, document and promote good observations while challenging and mentoring the remediation of non-conformities
- Other duties, regulations and responsibilities as required from time to time
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Competencies Required:
- Post-secondary education in maritime studies and/or management an asset.
- Strong Marine background.
- Minimum 3 seasons of performing watchkeeping duties as an Engineering or Deck Officer in which you have proven strong potential leadership skills.
- A firm understanding of budgets.
- A good understanding of the purchasing and part sourcing process.
- Strong understanding and practical experience with Safety Management Systems and the International Safety Management (ISM) Code;
- Proficient oral and written skills in the English language;
- Strong computer skills and experience using MS Office and preventative maintenance systems;
- Strong leadership and customer service skills;
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and able to communicate clearly and effectively;
- Able to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Travel required in vessel visits, brief voyages onboard for audit, inspection, familiarization or training purposes;
- Travel required in vessel idle season to monitor works; in compliment to the technical team
- Standard hours 8:30 – 4:30 pm;
- Extended hours when business requirements dictate