Canadian Coast Guard
Aids to Navigation Design and Review Specialist GT-04/EG-04
Selection Process number : 20-DFO-CEN-EA-CCG-300970
Why work with us?
As an Aids to Navigation Design and Review Specialist, you will have the opportunity to:
- Make a difference and contribute to the safety of mariners on the Canadian waterways.
- Travel and go on site to conduct inspections, collect data and lead consultations.
- Enjoy leave benefits including maternity, paternity, adoption, sick and family-related.
- Contribute to one of the best pension plans in Canada as well as benefit from excellent medical and dental insurance coverage.
Many positions to be filled
Location: Quebec City, Parry Sound, Prescott and Sarnia
Salary: EG-04: $63, 720 to $77, 523 / GT-04: $66, 610 to $75, 733
Who can apply: Canadians residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad
Withdrawal of candidacies: January 11, 2021
Do you enjoy research, data analysis and problem solving? In this position, you will be required to conduct in-depth studies to assess navigational risks, anticipate potential impacts and propose mitigation measures. You will help improve and develop the system of aids to navigation throughout the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River such as buoys, day beacons and lights.
‘’The information you need is not always at your fingertips so being able to do extensive research is super important! My position has to take initiative, have perseverance and find ways to get creative to get the information we need. It’s important to give the best recommendation you can for the safety of people on the water.’’ - Hailey Smith
You will also participate in managing seasonal buoy tending and aids maintenance programs. You will have to analyze failures, broadcast notice to mariner and coordinate maintenance operations. You will go on site to verify the position of buoys following mooring operations to ensure safe and efficient navigation.
‘’My work is very operational and involves field inspections. In two years I am already at 70 hours of helicopter time. It's very exciting!’’- Stéphane Bilodeau
Required qualifications :
- A secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience related to the position duties.
- Minimum one year of work experience related to the maritime field or to one of the following fields: cartography, geomatics, geodesy, surveying or geography.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret technical information and information associated with data management systems and make recommendations supported by these analyses.
- Experience using the Microsoft suite of programs (including but not limited to: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint); • Client service orientation.
- Bilingual imperative (BBB/BBB) for positions located in Quebec or English essential for positions located in Ontario.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Aids to Navigation System TP-968E.
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Ability to communicate in writing.
- Initiative .
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Thinking things through.
- Attention to detail and quality.
ALL JOB APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED USING THE WEBSITE https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?poster=1532 705&toggleLanguage=en. APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY EMAIL.
For questions, please contact: Human Resources Quebec at rhqbcdfo-mpo.gc.ca.