Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for a Technical Superintendent to work with our Technical Operations Department located in North Sydney, NS.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Services, this role is responsible for Vessel Technical Operations of the Fleet. The Technical Superintendent is accountable for providing technical direction within the organization and for administering maintenance policies and practices as they relate to Company and Vessel Planned Maintenance procedures, insurance, warranty, and annual refits and repairs to all vessels.
The incumbent is often required to work outside normal office hours. Due to the diverse area encompassed by the Service a considerable amount of travel is involved. The Technical Superintendent is required to make attendances to their assigned vessels to carry out Company Inspections and provide direction for financial, operational and Health Safety & Environment protocols. When a vessel is in dry-dock, the incumbent is expected to be in attendance for the entire duration.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Coordinates the preparation of detailed reports for major repairs or modifications for submissions to the Board of Directors, to enable them to make a decision on submission.
- Ensures that company assets are protected by identifying all warranty items on new vessels and in cases of deficiencies, coordinating the writing of specifications, arranging for contracting, viewing and pricing of all warranty work so charges for repairs or replacements are properly distributed.
- Ensures that essential refit work is included in specification and expenditures remain within budget by providing technical and financial consultation to Marine Engineering Officers and Shipboard Management teams in the development of the annual refit specifications.
- Assists in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Transpor t Canada First Class Motor Marine Engineer Certification
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related position.
- Progressive leadership experience ideally as a Sea Going Chief Engineer
- Involvement and experience in refit, dry-dock and planned work periods
- Strong knowledge of preventative maintenance programs
- Experience working with budgets
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience in project management and change management
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are diverse, safety-oriented team players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence.Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.
If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).