Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for an Electrical Electronics Superintendent to work with our Operations Department located in North Sydney, NS.
The Operations Division is the largest division within Marine Atlantic and includes the major functional areas of Fleet Operations, Terminal Operations and Asset Management. The focus of the Operations Division is to provide safe and reliable service for all of Marine Atlantic’s customers.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Services, the Electrical/Electronics Superintendent is responsible for electrical/electronics technical support across the Fleet, along with providing technical direction within the Corporation and administering maintenance policies and practices for marine vessel operation, annual refits and repairs.
This position will also thoroughly investigate incidents, conduct root cause analysis, prepare reports related to property damage, put forth recommendations for corrective actions and ensure these actions are implemented.
As a key member of the Operations leadership team, the Electrical/Electronics Superintendent is often required to work outside normal office hours. Due to the diverse area encompassed by the service a considerable amount of travel is involved. When a vessel is in dry-dock, the Superintendent is expected to be in attendance and will be accountable for any electrical/electronics drawing updates.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assisting and providing guidance in the maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of various systems, including propulsion systems, automation systems, switchboard control systems and reconditioning control systems
- Installation and commissioning of branded control systems
- Assisting and providing technical expertise during maintenance and troubleshooting on high voltage equipment
- Planning, assigning & directing tasks within assigned field service jobs
- Requesting and investigating field service & shop reports as needed
- Preparing & submitting parts requisitions as requested from vessels
- Maintaining shop & field tools in accordance with good mechanical-work practices
- Ensuring that essential refit work is included in specifications and expenditures remain within budget
- Coordinating the preparation of detailed reports for major repairs or modifications for submissions to the Board of Directors
- Identifying all warranty items on new vessels, and in cases of deficiencies, coordinating the writing of specifications, arranging for contracting, and, viewing and pricing of all warranty work
- Formulating professional development plans for shipboard electrical officers
- Works diligently, to promote a physically and psychologically safe working environment, that is diverse, accessible, inclusive and equitable.
- Assists in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
Education and Experience
Electronics/Electrical Engineering Technology Diploma from a recognized educational institution along with 5 years’ experience working in a related marine field plus 2 years of supervisory or leadership experience
Marine Chief Electrical Engineer with 5 years’ work experience.
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work experience in a related marine position.
- Experience in electro-pneumatic &/or electronic control systems &/or power plant electronic control systems
- Experience reviewing and preparing electronic drawings
- Experience in accident/incident Investigation and root cause analysis
- Demonstrated experience preparing reports
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite: Office/Word/PowerPoint/Excel
- Knowledge of Labour Laws and Occupational Health & Safety regulatory requirements.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are diverse, safety-oriented team players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence.Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.