Arctic Research Foundation (ARF) is a private, non-profit organization creating a new kind of scientific infrastructure for the Canadian Arctic, through our operation of efficient, cutting-edge research vessels and self-powered mobile labs. About | Arctic Focus
ARF has a unique opportunity and is looking for an experienced Fleet Manager to lead fleet operations and oversee the fleet of four science & research vessels and their expeditions in the Canadian Arctic. During the busy sailing season, this position will be responsible for crews totalling over 30 people working in remote regions across the country.
If you have held similar fleet management positions in marine companies, non-profits, or in the coast guard and have a genuine passion for supporting the science, discovery, culture and conservation in the Arctic, this could be the job for you.
- Manage the work of Captains and crews of ARF vessels including approval of assignments, hours of work and overtime, staffing levels and travel.
- In conjunction with ARF Captains, oversee and approve maintenance work during port days.
- In conjunction with ARF HR, develop crew employment contract details.
- Prepare and execute budgets pertaining to all ship operations, including crew salaries, refits and dry dockings for the ARF Fleet.
- Contribute to project proposals.
- Liaise with regulatory authorities as required.
- Manage vessel insurance.
- Maintain and catalogue fleet documents
- Develop and implement effective Fleet Management strategies with the intent to improve efficiency, take advantage of synergy's and contribute to safe and effective operation of ARF Fleet Vessels.
- Develop and implement Fleet Operations policies and procedures to ensure the safe and effective operations of ARF vessels.
- Work with operations group to further implement and improve the preventative maintenance program.
- Maintain oversight of and familiarity with spares parts and inventory control.
- Manage the purchasing and technical information regarding spares orders.
- Manage the Fleet Operations Coordinator position.
- Help identify and pursue new opportunities and partnerships utilizing ARF vessels.
- Assist in community relations where needed.
- Additional duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- 10 + years of marine management experience
- Technical and mechanical aptitude
- Experience working with Transport Canada and other marine regulators
- Strong people management ability and experience working with people in the Arctic
- Superior communications skills and comfort communicating across a broad range of individuals including management, crew, and Arctic communities
- Experience with marine HR
- Basic familiarity with TC regulations
- Some marine engineering experiences would be an asset
- Strong computer skills
- Experience working in the Arctic
- Experience working with non-profits
- Research or survey experience would be an asset
- The ability to be flexible and find creative solutions to problems (ARF does not have a typical management structure or way of doing things in general, flexibility and quick footedness is important)
- Experience managing vessel maintenance and refits.
- Ability to travel to remote locations for work as required
Although this is a full-time position, there can be flexibility in hours during the non-sailing months
If you are interested in this position, please send you resume and salary expectations to careersarcticresearchfoundation.ca. by January 31, 2022.