We are currently accepting resumes for a DPA/CSO. This is a year-round, full-time, excluded management position.The DPA/CSOwill work regularly in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, with the office location to be determined when a candidate is selected.
Northumberland Ferries Limited and its sister companies, Bay Ferries Limited and Bay Ferries Management Limited, operate and maintain ferries, ensuring they meet the highest standards of safety and environmental protection. Our group of companies is recognized throughout North America, and internationally, as an efficient, competent, and innovative ferry service provider. This work is accomplished by a small, capable, multi-functional management team, assisted by more than 300 direct employees, and the strategic use of specialized sub-contractors.
The DPA/CSO is the company’s leader in the implementation and maintenance of the Company’s Safety Management System ("SMS") and Security Plans.
The DPA/CSO provides the key link between ship and shore for critical safety matters. The overall responsibility of the position is creating and maintaining a world-class safety culture within our organization and for administrating a SMS commensurate with that commitment. The DPA/CSO ensures effective communication of safety issues such that safety is the primary concern in the minds of our employees at all times. The successful candidate will ensure world class safety performance including; ensuring compliance with regulatory standards, ISM Code, and industry best practices in accordance with all provincial, state, federal, and local regulations; developing and sustaining safety programs that are balanced with the need for common sense and good seamanship; conducting audits; investigating significant marine, terminal and shoreside occurrences; monitoring regulatory and statutory inspections; engaging with the VP Finance, VP Engineering, VP Marine Operations, GMs and other company Directors to ensure overall safety of operations.
- Business and Operational Plans
- Execution (Ensuring the System Works)
- Measurement and Monitoring
- Occupational Health & Safety (OHS)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Strong knowledge of statutory and regulatory rules and requirements.
- Demonstrated commitment to safe working practices under ISM code.
- Experience in formulating policy and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Professional level written, verbal, and people skills to appropriately communicate and interact with government officials and work effectively with diverse constituencies and communities. Proven ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Degree in Business Administration, Engineering Degree, Master Mariner, Chief Engineer, or ten years' experience in a leadership role for a large division or company.
Normal office environment but also requires visits to vessels, docks facilities, and terminals.
Willing to work a flexible schedule, including some weekend and evening work, and overnight travel.
Northumberland Ferries Limited is committed to employment equity and actively recruits candidates from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act (women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities).