PIPING AND MECHANICAL SYSTEMS SPECIALIST
Posted date [2023-Feb-17] (ID: 2890)
Reporting to the Director, Production Engineering, the PIPING AND MECHANICAL SYSTEMS SPECIALIST is responsible for the development, maintenance, and delivery of required engineering information deliverables (i.e., technical work instructions, bills of materials, drawings and sketches etc.) to support all pipe and mechanical repair and installation activities for ship repair contracts.
- Develop required information deliverables relating to shipyard pipe and mechanical repair activities in ship repair projects.
- Extract details from specifications and work scopes agreed upon with the client to support the creation of effective high-quality job cards (work packages) to support the detailed planning phase.
- Create engineering bills of materials to ensure that the Planning Department has an accurate overview of the required materials.
- Ensure delivery of all required drawings, sketches and other required information in an accurate and timely fashion while adhering to Davie’s internal configuration and change management processes.
- Provide support to any Project Controls activities as requested.
- Provide information and input for the estimates and bids as required.
- Provide any data or coding requirements to support the creation of shipboard tags for equipment and piping.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of production coordination packages to support detail planning.
- Participate in supporting the creation of engineering information in support of pipe and mechanical activities relating to subcontractors.
- Understand the production facilities and resource capacities such as space constraints, equipment, qualified operators and verify their availability to satisfy the project requirements.
- Understand all activities onboard a ship/vessel and their sequential order.
- Provide technical field support onboard the ship as required.
- Undertake onboard surveys to support both pipe removals, fabrication and re-installation.
- Understand safety-related processes relating to onboard pipe and mechanical activities e.g., lock-out/tag -out (LOTO).
- Provide clear identification and direction for the LOTO process to render a safe work site for the production workers.
- Interpret ship specifications, client work scopes and requirements and relate them to onboard activities.
- Responsible for progress reporting, schedule updates and communication of any issue relating to the timely creation of deliverables during the pre-planning phase of the project.
- Participation in any process improvement initiatives as required.
- Provide reports and spreadsheets as required on work status.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ensure compliance with the agreed upon procedures for production engineering operations within Davie.
- Ensure the updating of progress of deliverables to the Planning Department.
- Develop and maintain good communication and collaboration with Procurement, Quality Control, Safety, Project Controls and Production Departments.
- Ensure a smooth flow of operations from engineering to planning.
- Adhere to any document control requirements by utilizing Davie data repository (M-Files).
- A minimum of 7 years in shipbuilding/ship repair or a combination of both (mandatory).
- University degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or a combination of a post secondary diploma in a piping related discipline and extensive experience.
- Good knowledge of shipbuilding manufacturing processes.
- Strong competencies in Microsoft Office product suite.
- Ability to work confidently and independently, while prioritizing a large volume of work.
- Fully bilingual in French and English.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to effectively interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Successfully complete the investigation and security clearance process required by the Federal Government Contract Security Program.
- Experience working with ERM would be considered an asset.