We are currently recruiting a full time 2nd Officer for one of our Canadian flagged vessels.
In addition to their responsibility to the Master for the proper performance of his/her assigned navigational watch duties, the third officer's responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
-S/he must discuss with the Officer being relieved, details of the equipment and material for which s/he will be responsible, and inspect them promptly, preferably in the company of the Officer being relieved.
-Conduct efficient cargo watches under the instruction of the Chief Officer.
-Familiarise with cargo systems and their operation and learn to prepare cargo storage plans and safely load or unload the vessel.
-Ensure all charts (including ENC) and navigational publications (including digital) on-board are fully corrected and up-to-date, including Navtex, T & P Notices and Navarea warnings.
- Before sailing, ensure charts and navigational publications required for the voyage are onboard and corrected.
- Responsible for ensuring all electronic navigation equipment is tested and proved operational. Defects are to be reported to the Master and Electronic Officer immediately.
- All other navigation equipment and instruments, including sextants, plotting gear and tables, azimuth circles, navigation lights and shapes, meteorological recording equipment must be checked regularly. All repairs and maintenance to equipment must be done in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and noted in the appropriate equipment logs as required.
-To be aware of use of all GMDSS equipment including tests and emergency operation.
- Conduct daily/weekly/monthly testing of GMDSS equipment and ensure the GMDSS logbook is up to date.
- Prepare weather, current and meteorological reports, port abstracts of the log, and noon position reports.
- Provide information to the Chief Engineer for sea abstracts of the log.
- Assist the Master and Chief Officer as the ship’s Medical Officer.
- May also be assigned the duties of maintaining the vessel’s Medical Chest and Medical Log (See NS HSM – Health and Safety Manual).
- Direct unlicensed personnel in the proper and efficient execution of their duties.
- Identify and correct any unsafe working habits or conditions.
- Enact the necessary measures in a time of emergency to ensure the safety of personnel and the preservation of the environment and company property.
-The Second Officer may be assigned other duties by the Chief Officer consistent with his abilities and experience.
Certifications required: Cert of Comp., MEDs, First Aid (Advanced Preferred), Advanced Tanker level 2 (preferred), Bridge Resource Management, ECDIS generic, SAM ECDIS preferred, Canadian GMDSS, Marine Medical, WHMIS, Confined Space and the ability to work in the US.
**Preference will be given to candidates with previous tanker experience.**
Our ideal candidate is a team player, is safety oriented, and has a "can do" attitude. If this sounds like you or someone you know in your professional network please contact krista.nesbittnorbulknb.com
We offer a competitive compensation package and encourage and promote continuous learning in our workplace.
We appreciate all applications but only those matching the qualifications listed above will be contacted for an interview.