Hornblower Niagara Cruises is Canada’s ONLY boat ride to the mighty Niagara Falls.
At Hornblower Niagara Cruises, we have a team of amazing people who work together to create memorable and lasting experiences for our guests who visit us from all over the world. Our commitment to quality, safety and the environment is reflective in everything that we do! If you are an enthusiastic team player who thrives in a work environment where communication, creativity and cooperation are encouraged, we may just have the opportunity for you!...
The Mate operates Transport Canada inspected passenger vessels in the Niagara Gorge in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the crew and passengers, enjoyment of hte passengers, and respect for the environment. A flexible schedule is a must. Schedule includes evenings, weekends, and holidays. Reporting to the Manager, Marine Operations, essential job functions and duties include but are not limited to the following:
Essential Dutis and Responsbilties:
- operates the vessel with due regard for the Hornblower Niagara Cruises (HNC) Safety Management System (SMS) and ISO Respect Management System, the Vessel Security Plan, proper Standards of Watchkeeping and in accordance with the practice of good seamanship
- work with crew members in all areas of Marine Transportation Safety, Security, Trainin and efficient operation of the vessel
- liaise with the Captain and Dock Operations Manager to provide feedback regarding Deckhand performance when required
- routinely inspects all areas of the vessel for unsafe conditions, assists in accident investigations and reports and makes safety announcements to ensure the safety and comfort of the crew and passengers
- participates in emergency drills in accordance with Transport Canada regulations, the Safety Management Sytem, and Vessel Security Plan.
- participates in safety meetings in conformance with HNC policy, to ensure a routinely efficient and safe operation of the vessel at all times and the proper use of equipment during any possible onboard emergency
- maintains vessel operations and maintenance logs, paying particular attention to proper recording of incidents and irregularities. Additionally, maintains personnel reports in cooperation with the Captain
- throughout the day, at the beginning and at the ending of shifts; will ensure a clean workplace i.e. restrooms, garbage, common areas, wheelhouse and gangways
- assists with daily training talks as set forth by the ISO, Safety Management System, Vessel Security Plan and Marine Operations department management in accordance with the ISO/Respect Management System training proram requirements of a quality, health and safety and environmental focus
- perform other duties as assigned
- Mate 150 Gross Tonnage Domestic
- Small Vessel Machinery Operator (Training provided)
- current Marine Basic First Aid
- current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved medical
- minimum one (1) year of shipboard experience required
- customer service experience an asset
- knowledge of a foreign language is helpful
- Ships Security Officer Certificate an asset
- SVOP of Limited Master Certificate an asset
- ability to successfully complete a criminal background check