McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of bulkers, tankers, tugs, barges and workboats, operate throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, east coast and Canadian Arctic.
McKeil Marine Limited has immediate openings for Second Mates aboard our tugs on a permanent full-time basis. We are looking for eager and self-starting individuals responsible for the proper management of the deck department as well as the navigation of the ship.
- Our crew enjoy regular schedules with minimal disruptions - you can plan your time at home
- Company paid and arranged travel to ports
- Our crew matter - at McKeil it feels like family
- We sail safe - your safety is our top priority
- Certificate upgrade programs and incentives
- Company paid training
- Competitive wages and comprehensive group benefits program
- Generous referral bonus program
- Responsible for the safe keeping of navigational watch
- Maintenance and upkeep of the hull, decks, superstructures, and towing gear
- Ensuring that lifesaving and firefighting equipment is properly inspected and maintained
- Under the Captain’s requirements, prepare all voyage plans and trip reports
- Responsible for the electronic navigation equipment on board
- Ensure inspection of the safety equipment
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and regulatory requirements
- Update planned maintenance system
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all chart folios and corrections/updates and updating all publications relating to the safe navigation of the vessel
- Prepare all voyage plans and trip reports and maintain records
- Maintain logs for all navigation and communication equipment and advise the captain on equipment that may need repairs or service
- As safety officer, shall ensure all safety equipment is operating, as required.
- Responsible for carrying out regular inspections
- GMDSS responsibilities
- Other duties assigned
- Watchkeeing Mate Near Coastal Certificate issued by Transport Canada
- Marine Emergency Duties (MED’s) STCW Basic Safety and Survival Craft Certifications
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Experienced with Safety Management Systems (ISO & ISM)
- Experience with Microsoft Suite an asset
- Strong communication and proven teamwork skills
- Self-starter, analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Previous tug boat experience required
You will join a team of passionate colleagues in fast paced, growing organization that supports all communities in which we operate. McKeil Marine offers a very competitive total compensation program.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. McKeil Marine is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.