We are currently accepting resumes for a full-time, year-round, Second Mate.
The Second Mate is a member of the Bridge Team and is the Officer on Deck in charge of loading, efficient embarking and disembarking of passengers and vehicles, and securing vehicles. The Second Officer is also responsible for the care and maintenance of a wide range of equipment, including wheelhouse equipment, charts, record books, nautical publications, compasses, clocks, sounding machines, navigational instruments, and aids to navigation. Safety is a top priority for the Second Officer and extends to the care and upkeep of first aid kits, lifesaving and fire-fighting equipment, alarm systems, safety equipment, anchors and windlasses, mooring equipment, and adhering to the Safety Management System.
Bay Ferries Limited operates the mv Fundy Rose between Digby, Nova Scotia and Saint John, New Brunswick. This is a year-round ferry service which employs approximately 150 people. The typical work schedule is one week on, one week off.
What To Expect:
- Training incentives.
- Work/life balance.
- Competitive salary.
- Company Pension.
- Group Benefits Plan.
- Valid Transport Canada Certificate of Competency (WKM, Near Coastal)
- Valid Seafarers Medical Certificate and all other certificates required to maintain Certificate of Competency.
- Working knowledge of critical operations and Safety Management System documentation.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven record of safe operations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with embarking and disembarking passengers, passenger vehicles, and commercial vehicles.
- Experience with securing vehicles.
Bay Ferries Limited is committed to employment equity and actively recruits candidates from designated groups defined in the Employment Equity Act (women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities).
Please apply online at https://www.ferries.ca/careers/