Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
· competitive salaries
· defined benefit pension plan
· comprehensive health and benefit packages
· extensive professional development and training opportunities
We are currently accepting applications for First Officer to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
The First Officers report directly to the Chief Officer and play a key role in safely maintaining and overseeing the following:
· Navigation and Cargo Watch
· Marine Emergency Duties
· Mooring stations during docking and undocking
· Loading and off-loading of our vessels
· Maintenance of deck equipment
Chief Mate Near Coastal Certificate, STCW 95 or Higher
- 24 months recent experience in as a Deck Officer with a minimum of 12 months as a Second Officer
- Marine Emergency Duties STCW 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3
- Fast Rescue Craft and Refresher if applicable
- Bridge Resource Management or Human Element Leadership Management (HELM)
- Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS)
· Restricted Operators Certificate - Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC) or General Operator Certificate (GOC)
· Valid Transport Canada Approved Marine Medical Certificate
· Recent experience working on vessels with Safety Management Systems
· Experience working with Electronic Planned Maintenance Systems
· Computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to work in confined space
- Ability to lift 10 kg
· Graduate of a recognized marine school in a related program
- Marine Emergency Duties Refresher Course.
· Marine Advanced First Aid or Marine Medical Care
· Transportation of Dangerous Goods Training
· Ship Security Training
· Passenger Safety Management or Specialized Passenger Safety Management
· Demonstrated work experience with leading and developing a successful and effective team
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of our Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm Atlantic Time on 10 April 2018.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).