Lower Lakes Towing operates a fleet of six self-unloading bulk carriers and three conventional bulk carriers in Canada. Combined with our U.S. sister companies, we have a combined fleet of 14 vessels. These vessels transport a diverse array of dry bulk commodities including limestone, coal, iron ore, salt, grain and other commodities for more than 50 long-standing customers in the construction, electric utility, integrated steel and food industries.
"We can go where the big ships go and also where they can't!"
We have immediate openings for the position of Chief Mate aboard our Canadian flagged self-unloading and flat-back bulk carriers.
- Promote an attitude of safety and uphold company safety policies
- Perform Watch-Keeping duties as the Master's representative
- Supervision and upkeep of the Deck Operations including but not limited to:
- Inspection of Deck Department to monitor and improve efficiency
- Loading, stowage, care and discharge of all cargo
- Economical use of all consumable Deck Department stores
- Leader of Deck Department crew, providing daily instructions in the Daily Work Book
- Monitor all hours of work and rest for personnel in the Deck Department
- Ensuring all cargo holds are free from containment prior to loading
- Play a vital role in due diligence by training, teaching and encouraging safe working habits and maintain documentation on those initiatives
- Follow regulations and ensure compliance
- Chief Mate, Near Coastal Ticket required
- MED's and Valid Marine Medical required
- Experience on Self-Unloading or Bulk Carriers an asset
- Permanent Residence Status or Canadian Citizenship required
- One of the best leave systems on the Great Lakes
- Opportunity for advancement
- Tuition Assistance
- Highly competitive pay
Job Type: Permanent