McKeil Marine is one of Canada’s leading marine service providers. Experienced and adaptive, we deliver turn-key solutions that support our customers’ success in a wide range of transportation and project challenges. Customer service, safety, quality and respect for the environment are at the heart of our operations. Manned by highly skilled sailing crew, our ever-growing diverse and versatile fleet of ships, tugs, barges and workboats operate throughout the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, east coast and Canadian Arctic.
McKeil Marine Limited has immediate openings for Chief Mates aboard our bulkers on a permanent full-time basis. We are looking for eager and self-starting individuals responsible for the proper management of the deck department as well as the navigation of the ship.
Chief Mate experience not necessary; on-the-job training will be provided.
Looking for Work-Life Balance?
Come join McKeil Marine where family time and being part of a family are core values. Our crew enjoy a regular schedule of 5 weeks on and 5 weeks at home with minimal disruption; you can plan your time at home.
As one of the fastest growing companies in the Canadian fleet, McKeil Marine is recruiting maritime officers for our next phase of growth.
- Industry-leading leave system. Our crew enjoy regular schedules: 5 weeks on and 5 weeks at homewith minimal disruption; you can plan your time at home
- Recruiting and retention program
- Competitive wages and comprehensive group benefits program
- 100% company-paid benefits
- Matching group RRSP contributions
- Generous referral bonus program
- Company-paid training
- Annual crew meetings to foster team building
- Company-paid and arranged travel to ports
- Our crew matter: At McKeil, it feels like family.
- We sail safe; your safety is our top priority
- Certificate upgrade programs and incentives
- Reports to the Captain
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation, supervision and training of the deck crew
- Responsible for the safe keeping of a navigational watch
- Second in command of the vessel and officer in charge when the Captain is absent
- Ensures that the deck crew is adequately manned and equipped in accordance with company standards and policies
- Communicates expectations, assignments and responsibilities to deck crew
- Implements and ensures adherence to all statutory and legislative rules and regulations
- Ensures all deck personnel and new hires are familiar with company policies and procedures and have access to the appropriate manuals and documents
- Ensures that McKeil’s QSMS policies and health and safety programs are communicated, understood and adhered to by all crew members
- Determines the ship’s speed and location using navigational aids
- Responsible for the safe transportation of the ship’s cargo
- Responsible for the preparation and/or submission of logbooks, daily records, maintenance records and permits in accordance with company and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the investigation of any incidents or near misses and the implementation of any corrective action
- The maintenance and upkeep of the hull, decks, superstructures, and towing gear
- Ensures that lifesaving and firefighting equipment are properly inspected and maintained
- GMDSS responsibilities
- Chief Mate Near Coastal or higher certificate issued by Transport Canada
- Chief Mate experience not necessary; training will be provided
- Marine Emergency Duties (MED); STCW Basic Safety and Survival Craft Certifications
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Experience as a Chief Mate in the Great Lakes and Eastern Canada is an asset
- Experience and knowledge of the Great Lakes/ St. Lawrence Seaway system is an asset
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience as a junior watchkeeping officer on board dry-bulk vessels preferred
- GLPA certification preferred but not necessary; however, on-the-job training will be provided
- Experienced with Safety Management Systems (ISO & ISM)
- Experience with Microsoft Suite an asset
- Experienced leader and motivator of direct reports
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, analytical and problem-solving capabilities
You will join a team of passionate colleagues in a fast-paced, growing organization that supports all communities in which we operate. McKeil Marine offers a very competitive total compensation program and is an industry-leading workplace that also supports work-life balance.
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. McKeil Marine is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.