Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Quartermasters to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting to the Chief Officer, the main function of the Quartermaster is helmsman duties, entering and departing port and as required at sea. When not performing helmsman duties at sea this position will act as an additional lookout and assist the OOW as required. In port the Quartermaster will act as gangway or bridge watch.
All crew members at Marine Atlantic must be familiar with and have a clear understanding of the Muster list, emergency duties, Vessel Emergency Plan and SOLAS training manual. Crew members are also responsible for taking reasonable measures to ensure the safety of passengers, other crew members and themselves.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Follow safe work procedures and work within MOHS regulations.
- Actively participate in all emergency and security drills as per the duties assigned in the Muster list.
- Perform/Switch to Emergency Steering and Autopilot.
- Understand the Emergency Steering Procedures, the location of the steering repeaters and magnetic compass.
- Follow helm orders as directed by the Master or OOW.
- Ensure all crew and visitors sign the gangway logbook and verify visitors ID as required.
- Verify and collect passenger tickets as required.
- Ensure gangway and walkways are clear of slip, trip and fall hazards.
- May be called out for mooring operations.
- Fire plan locations for shore fire department’s while in port.
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as required.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
High School or GED
- Bridge-watch STCW95
- STCW 95 6.1 and 6.2
- Valid MED refresher
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Transport Canada Approved Medical Examination
- Passenger Safety Management
- Ability to lift, handle and carry heavy objects
- Ability to handle mooring lines and work in confined spaces
- Ship Personnel with Designated Security Duties certification/training.
- Good knowledge of mooring duties
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our diverse group of employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply.
All applicants must apply online:
- Th is is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca.