Coastal Transport operates ferries between mainland New Brunswick and both Grand Manan Island and Deer Island as well as between Grand Manan Island and White Head Island.
Coastal Transport Limited
Grand Manan V Ferry
Seasonal, Full Time Position
Who we are?
Coastal Transport Limited manages the operation and maintenance of the ferries operating between Grand Manan, White Head and Deer Islands on behalf of the province of New Brunswick. The work we do is essential in maintaining transportation requirements for the island communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers, with the movement of 200,000 passengers and 110,000 vehicles to and from Grand Manan annually.
What you will do?
Working closely with the Captain, other departments, Head Office, contractors and regulatory personnel, you will ensure the vessel is operated and maintained at a high level of technical readiness in support of operations to ensure transportation requirements are available for Grand Manan.
This is a critical leadership role, in which you will develop and lead your engineering department in operating and maintain all engineering systems, machinery and components. You will liaise with Head Office and ensure Regulatory Requirements are maintained to the required high standard. You will manage all aspects of training for your engineering team and provide mentoring in order to develop them into a high performing team.
Working with the Captain, Quality Manager and Director of Vessel Operations, you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical and managerial direction to your engineering team;
- Administering and managing the delivery of the vessel’s maintenance programs;
- Developing, administering and managing refit and work period specifications projects and programs, managing human resources issues and ensuring safe and environmentally sound work practices are in place and properly managed;
- Ensuring Coastal Transport Limited’s Integrated Management System is adhered to.
- Grand Manan V, operating between Blacks Harbour and Grand Manan;
- Standard hours of work: Shift rotation 7 days on and 7 days off 0700-1930;
- Season operations June – September;
- Pre and Post Season vessel maintenance periods; and
- Refit requirements which may take you out of province every 2 years for refit duration.
Who you are?
You are a dynamic leader with strong leadership and people management skills with considerable experience building high performing teams and working well with another shift. As the Chief Engineer, you will have the credentials, reputation, experience and confidence to work together with all departments on board, head office, service representatives and regulatory personnel.
Your leadership, attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of qualification. Coastal Transport Limited is looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Key behavioural competencies:
- Mentoring and Developing Others;
- Effective Interactive Communication;
- Organizational Commitment;
- Results Orientation;
- Team Leadership, and
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Human Resources Management;
- Planning and Organizing Skills;
- Project Management; and
- Written and Oral Communication.
- 3rd Class Motor Certificate or higher, Canadian Certificate of Competency
- MED with respect to STCW Basic Safety
- MED in Advanced Fire Fighting
- MED for Senior Officers
- Propulsion Plant Simulator – Level II
- Marine First Aid
- Experience using computerized ship preventive maintenance systems
- Experience working as a Chief Engineer on twin engine/twin screw vessels;
- Leadership attributes leading an engineering team during daily operations and preparation for and throughout work periods and refits
- Excellent management skills
- Experience with Watchkeeping procedures, paralleling generators, alarms & monitoring equipment
- Detailed knowledge of ISM code, Canada Labour Code and Marine Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (MOSH)
- Valid Marine Medical
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
- Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education, experience and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment;
- Candidates are required to provide a minimum of three (3) professional character references.
SALARY: Approximately $4,300 to $4,900 per 7 day shift.
How to apply?
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to hrcoastaltransport.ca or by fax to (506) 642-0526. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies within Coastal Transport Limited.