The CSL Group Inc. (“CSL”) of Montreal, Canada is a world-leading provider of marine dry bulk cargo handling and delivery services. Through its major operating divisions, Canada Steamship Lines, CSL Americas, CSL Australia, CSL Asia and CSL Europe, CSL owns and operates a highly diversified fleet of specialized self-unloading vessels, off-shore transshippers and Handysize bulk carriers, and delivers more than 78 million tonnes of cargo to industrial customers annually. CSL's history can be traced back to 1845.
At CSL, we are committed to the wellbeing of our crews and employees, and to promoting a corporate culture that values high ethical standards, a safe and healthy workplace and respect for the environment. A career with CSL is both stimulating and challenging, and we are continually seeking skilled and passionate individuals to occupy key roles throughout our company.
For more information on CSL Group, please visit our website: https://www.cslships.com/en.CSL is hiring experienced Chief Engineers for immediate positions.
At Canada Steamship Lines, our Chief Engineers are recognized as the frontline leaders on our ships and we take pride in offering them excellent work conditions and compensation in line with their important roles.
CSL is currently seeking experienced Chief Engineers for our domestic fleet of bulkers and self-unloaders, which includes seven state-of-the-art Trillium Class ships.
We offer a competitive salary, an industry-leading leave system and an exceptional employee bonus and benefits program that is unmatched by any other shipping company on the Lakes.Duties and Responsibilities
The Chief Engineer is directly responsible to the master and to the Owners for the proper management of the Engineering Department, those responsibilities include:
- The implementation of Company policies for safety and environmental management with respect to all engineering activities, including the implementation of WHMIS regulations and MSDS requirements;
- The administration of all Engineering Department personnel; specifically ensuring that the training, indoctrination and familiarization of all existing and new crew members are in accordance with the working instructions issued by the Company. In the even that these instructions are in contravention of the STCW95 Convention regulations through error, and this is known by the Chief Engineer, the STCW95 Convention standards for the Flag State of registry will apply;
- Managing the Engineering manpower resources in such a manner as to avoid excessive fatigue affecting duty personnel, including himself. The Chief Engineer will ensure that the Company standards for rest and hours of work are maintained in accordance with the Company working instructions related to this topic. The Chief Engineer must be aware that fatigue is a primary cause of both personal and operational accidents and can seriously impair the functioning of both Officers and ratings;
- The safe, efficient and economical operation of all machinery; the Chief Engineer will additionally ensure that the Preventative Maintenance working instructions relating to ISM “Critical Parts and Systems” or “Standard Preventative Maintenance” is administered in accordance to the requirements of the Safety Management System and as additionally directed by the Director of Operations;
- Familiarizing themselves with Company policies and procedures as laid down, and to ensure that all subordinate engineers are familiar with, and have access to those documents, files and working instructions. Including the responsibility to ensure that all working permits are issued by an authorized person in accordance to the CVMS instruction, and that relevant personnel are trained annually in the use of these systems;
- The proper maintenance of all deck machinery, self-unloading machinery, propulsion, steering and auxiliary machinery together with associated control systems;
- The maneuvering of the main engine(s) as directed from the bridge;
- The keeping of proper Classification and Administration records and log books within their department;
- The prevention of an response to oil pollution from the vessel;
- The monitoring of bunkers and lubricants with respect to both quantity and quality;
- Other tasks as assigned.
First Class Motor Certificate of Competency issued by Transport Canada
Experience as Chief Engineer
$160,000 + (training premiums, excess days, etc.)
Medical Benefits + Annual Medical Examination
Defined-Benefit Pension Plan
Fitness Reimbursement Program
Great Lakes, St. Lawrence Seaway and East Coast Trade Routes
The CSL Group Inc. - Head Office
759 Square Victoria, 6th Floor
Canada H2Y 2K3
Senior Talent Acquisition, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist
759 Square Victoria, 6th Floor
Canada H2Y 2K3
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All submissions will be treated with utmost confidentiality.