Director of Shore Operations
Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for a Director of Shore Operations to work with our Operations department. The position will be based out of either our North Sydney N.S. or Port aux Basques N.L locations.
The role of the Director of Shore Operations is to oversee the daily operations and maintenance for all Marine Atlantic Terminals (Port aux Basques, North Sydney, and Argentia), supporting Administration Buildings (both Marine Atlantic leased and owned) and supporting on shore infrastructure. The incumbent will ensure excellence in customer service, safe operations, operational efficiency, optimum equipment reliability, and achieving financial and performance targets.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Represent Shore Operations with local port authorities, shareholders, regulatory authorities and interface with local businesses on behalf of the Corporation.
- Provide direction and leadership to the shore management team in accordance to the Corporate values and policies.
- Ensure preventative maintenance systems and practices for all shore facilities and infrastructure are effective and delivering the desired results.
- Ensure risk management processes as well as mitigating actions are completed for all terminal and maintenance operations initiatives and programs.
- Oversee key requirements including performance management, succession planning, training, and development of departmental staff.
- Ensure compliance with all safety, environmental and security regulations for shore operations including employee training, facility inspections and incident reporting.
- Ensure all incidents are investigated, recommendations are made on corrective actions, and follow-up to ensure corrective actions are effectively implemented.
- Collaborate with landlords of leased facilities ensuring compliance to lease agreements regarding accessibility, comfort and general maintenance.
- Assist in the evaluation of proposals; and participate during the contract negotiation process with clients and vendors and manage external vendor service contracts who work on Marine Atlantic property.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
- University Degree, preferably in Business or Engineering. An advanced Degree in management, such as an MBA, would be considered an asset.
- A minimum 7 years’ experience in a related senior management position in a customer service and facilities management industry.
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training, and work
experience in a related position.
- Strong leadership and effective interpersonal skills, with strong customer service, critical thinking and troubleshooting competencies.
- Ability to manage multiple facilities and supporting marine assets including but not limited to, passenger transportation fleet, commercial customer requirements, shunt truck services and regulatory functions.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- In-depth experience in change management.
- Strong capacity for strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- General understanding of procurement and contract methodologies.
- A thorough knowledge of marine operations, shipping and logistics management industry.
- A strong understanding of project management principles.
- An understanding of applicable acts, regulations and codes.
- Management experience working within a multi union environment.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 17 February 2020.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).