Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Deckhands to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Deckhand’s duties have several components; including, but not limited to emergency responsibilities, completion of documentation, fire/security patrol, deck patrol, and lookout.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Daily checklists for fall Protection, Forklifts, Man Lifts, Confined Spaces, manual sign-offs of tools, Occupational Safety & Health manual, International Safety Management reviews and Emergency Procedures
- Daily and routine work which includes painting, cleaning, and securing
- Housekeeping as it relates to the vessel’s exterior decks and vehicle decks
- Rectification of Inspection items as directed by the Bosun and/or the Occupational Safety & Health Committee
- Hourly fire and security patrol rounds of the entire vessel above the vehicle decks as per vessel plan
- Continually patrolling the vehicle decks and direct any unauthorized passengers to the passenger areas
- Inspecting lashings and tightening where required at sea and reporting it to the Officer on watch when in port
- Reporting any cargo shifting, fuel leaks, vehicle damages, fire hazards, lighting issues, and slip trip and fall hazards
- Working diligently to promote a safe working environment.
- Assisting in the accomplishment of vessel functions by performing other related duties as required
What qualifications do I need to be considered for thisopportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
- High School or GED Equivalency
- Bridge Watch Rating Certificate STCW 95 or Able Seafarer Certificate STCW 95
- Valid STCW 6.1 and STCW 6.2 Certificates
- Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Examination
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Deckhand, AB or Bosun on large commercial vessels or ferries
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- MED Refresher Certificate
- Passenger Safety Management
- Confined Space Certification
- Marine Basic First Aid
Please note:This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
Marine Atlantic’s Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new spare and relief employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are diverse safety-oriented team players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 19 February 2021.
All applicants must apply online:
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (recruitingmarine-atlantic.ca).