Selection process number: 22-DFO-WCCG-EA-CCG-333731
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
31 August 2023
Job Title: Deckhand
Tenure: Casual, Deployment, Secondment, Specific Period, Indeterminate
Locations: Victoria, BC, Vancouver Island - Other Locations (BC), Hay River (NT)
Rates of pay: $57,576
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents residing abroad.
Classification: SC DED 02
What will this process be used for?
A pool of qualified candidates will be established.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
What We Do:
The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG), a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), is entrusted to deliver valuable programs and services to Canadians that save lives, protect the environment and support our Canadian economy. Embracing a proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians, CCG offers exciting sea-going and shore-based career opportunities in the delivery of critical maritime safety, security and response services; response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. The department has received special recognition as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
The Government of Canada recently announced the Oceans Protection Plan, a whole-of-government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. DFO/CCG are dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians.
Under the direction of a CCG Officer, this position carries out maintenance, operational and custodial services for a Canadian Coast Guard ship, as well as duties in the marine environment as part of the Canadian Coast Guard’s federal mandate. Key duties may include:
- Maintains deck equipment and machinery, shipboard cleanliness and husbandry, performs seamanship duties, carpentry work and simple repairs to engines;
- Stands at watch at sea and in port, on the bridge as a lookout, or at the forecastle as a bow lookout;
- Assists in loading, stowing, securing and discharging of cargo and supplies, and in delivering equipment and stores ashore;
- Participates in shipboard safety drills (fire, ship abandonment, damage control, recovery of persons overboard), and assists in the testing of safety equipment and systems;
- Provides all support necessary to ensure CCG meets its mandate.
Essential qualifications candidates must possess:
Assessed on application:
Assessed at a later date:
*Industrial setting is defined to include, but not be limited to, the following: factories, shipyards and farms
Conditions of Employment:
- Reliability Status security clearance
- Valid Medical (Transport Canada Marine Medical or Health Canada Periodic 3) – no limitations***
- For Canadian Citizens, Valid Canadian Passport or for Canadian Permanent Residents, A Valid Passport from a recognized Passport Issuing Authority.
- Must be willing and able to wear a Respiratory Protection device and meet the standard of the CCG Respiratory Protection Program – RPP
- Must be willing to wear and maintain a uniform per Canadian Coast Guard standards, inclusive of CSA approved safety footwear and maintain job related personal safety equipment
- Must be willing and able to be deployed
- Must be willing and able to perform Overtime work as required, often on short notice
- Must be willing and able to work shiftwork
- Must be willing and able to go to sea for prolonged periods of time (including Arctic Waters) in adverse weather conditions, and on various classes of vessels (Up to 42 days)
- Must be willing and able to travel by air, land, or by sea
- All employees of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
***Candidates must hold a Transport Canada Marine Medical valid for the occupation group to which they have applied (Deck, Engine, or Catering) prior to initial hire. A Health Canada Occupational Health Medical must be completed after initial hire and must be maintained as an ongoing condition of employment.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request special accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the targeted groups when you apply.
Acknowledgment of receipt of applications will not be sent; we will contact candidates when the screening process is completed.
Candidates who are hired must be willing and able to travel from their place of residence to designated vessel’s home port at own expense.
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
For questions please contact:
Philip Trinh, Staffing Officer, Philip.Trinhdfo-mpo.gc.ca.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact Philip.Trinhdfo-mpo.gc.ca to request special accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.