The Third Mate assists the Master and other deck officers in maintaining the safe and efficient transfer or cargo and navigation of the vessel. The Third Mate is fourth in command in the deck department and is required to assist the Master, First Mate, and Second Mate in meeting all regulatory and Company guidelines.
Reporting to the Master, the Third Mate is responsible for maintaining open lines of communication from Deck Utility to the Captain and helps facilitate the movement of crew and cargo. The Third Mate is also in contact with the General Manager as well as the Operations Manager of Deck and Safety.
All crew members must comply with all regulations set out by the Canada Labour Code, Canada Shipping Act, Corporate Policy, Company Safety Policy, Transport Canada regulations including Marine Personnel Regulations and any other applicable legislation. All crew members will be required to cross the border to the United States to deliver and pick up loads. Exercising a high degree of professionalism with all third party inspectors or customers is mandatory for all shipboard personnel.
The Third Mates’ duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Master, the First Mate, and the Second Mate in the safe and efficient operation of cargo and navigational activity.
- Conducting safety inspections (including life-saving appliances and fire-fighting equipment).
- Assists in the direction and management of shipboard emergencies in a manner that protects the safety of the crew, the environment and Company assets.
- Must be comfortable and able to work long periods of time unsupervised.
- Assist in the preparation of the voyage plans and trip reports.
- When deemed appropriate by the Master, act as a pilot of the vessel once properly trained and adequately prepared.
Third Mates must hold the following minimum qualifications (subject to variance in the vessel’s safe manning documents):
- Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal license.
- MED with respect to STCW basic safety; MED training with respect to proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats; MED in advanced fire-fighting; Restricted Operator’s Certificate (ROC-MC; SEN I; ECDIS; Marine Advanced First Aid.
- Supervision of Oil Transfer Operation Certificate of Proficiency (SOTO).
- General Operator’s Certificate (GOC).
- Bridge Resource Management training.
- Marine Emergency Duties for senior officers (MED-D).
- Ship Personnel with Designated Security Duties.
- A valid Passport and Marine Medical.
- Past experience as a Third Mate of a vessel equal to or greater than 3000 tonnes and/or experience on a similar sized vessel with suitable experience as a Bridgewatchman is preferred.
The Company may require the Third Mates to take additional training courses in the following areas:
- Occupational Health and Safety.
- Oil Spill Response.
- Ship handling.
- Shipboard Resource Management.
- Accident/Hazard Investigation training.
- Hazard Prevention Program.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send their resumes and to scavanaghmcasphalt.com. We thank all for applying, though only successful applicants will be contacted.
For a limited time, successful applicants will be eligible to receive a recruitment bonus of up to $10,000. Those conditions which apply will be discussed at the time of the interview, full details will be relayed by email.