Ocean Services Ltd.
We are currently recruiting a full time 2nd Officer for our Canadian flagged vessel.
In addition to their responsibility to the Master for the proper performance of his/her assigned navigational watch duties, the third officer's responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- S/he must discuss with the Officer being relieved, details of the equipment and material for which he will be responsible, and inspect them promptly, preferably in the company of the Officer being relieved. Anything found to be unsatisfactory must be reported to the Master.
- Complete NS PER 006 (Handover Report) & NS SAF 001 (Shipboard Familiarisation Record).
- Conduct efficient cargo watches under the instruction of the Chief Officer.
- Ensure all charts (including ENC) and navigational publications (including digital) on-board are fully corrected and up-to-date, including Navtex, T & P Notices and Navarea warnings.
- Before sailing, ensure charts and navigational publications required for the voyage are onboard and corrected.
- Responsible for ensuring all electronic navigation equipment is tested and proved operational. Defects are to be reported to the Master and Electronic Officer immediately.
- All other navigation equipment and instruments, including sextants, plotting gear and tables, azimuth circles, navigation lights and shapes, meteorological recording equipment must be checked regularly. All repairs and maintenance to equipment must be done in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and noted in the appropriate equipment logs as required.
- To be aware of use of all GMDSS equipment including tests and emergency operation.
- Conduct daily/weekly/monthly testing of GMDSS equipment and ensure the GMDSS logbook is up to date.
- Prepare weather, current and meteorological reports, port abstracts of the log, and noon position reports.
-Provide information to the Chief Engineer for sea abstracts of the log.
- Assist the Master and Chief Officer as the ship’s Medical Officer.
- May also be assigned the duties of maintaining the vessel’s Medical Chest and Medical Log (See NS HSM – Health and Safety Manual).
- Direct unlicensed personnel in the proper and efficient execution of their duties.
- Identify and correct any unsafe working habits or conditions.
- Enact the necessary measures in a time of emergency to ensure the safety of personnel and the preservation of the environment and company property.
- The Second Officer may be assigned other duties by the Chief Officer consistent with his abilities and experience.
Certificat ions: Cert of Comp, MEDs, First Aid (Advanced preferred), Bridge Resource Management, ECDIS generic, SAM ECDIS , Canadian GMDSS, Marine Medical and the ability to work in the States.
Our ideal candidate is solutions oriented, has a strong work ethic, and works well in a team environment. Our full time employees work 40 days on 40 off, and have a competitive benefits package for them and their families. We also encourage continuous development of our employees so they can continue to grow their career within our company. Our ships are frequently in port, adding varierty in the day to day operations and giving our crew some down time in different locations.
If this opportunity sounds like a fit for you, or someone you know in your professional network, please contact kate.robinsonnorbulknb.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.